Brazil is located in the continent of South America and it covers 8,459,417 square kilometers of land and 55,460 square kilometers of water, making it the 5th largest nation in the world with a total area of 8,514,877 square kilometers. Brazil was discovered on 22 April 1500 by a Portuguese military commander Pedro Alvares Cabral. He, on his way to India, landed in Porto Seguro which is in between Salvador and Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. The Portuguese initiated a mission of expedition of the ship in India which was going to be led by the Portugal fleet commander Pedro Alvares Cabral through the water route. On the way to India Pedro Alvares Cabral wanted to take rest from the journey when he discovered Brazil.
Situated between the Equator and Tropic of Capricorn, the temperature of Brazil varies from 25°C (average) near the equator and 13°C near Tropic of Capricorn. In fact, only some areas are hot like Rio de Janeiro, Salvador. However, most of the places are cooled by the sea breeze or polar fronts which make it a lovely mode of enjoyment place for tourists.
History of Brazil
Until 1529 Portugal had very little interest in Brazil mainly due to the high profits gained through its commerce with India, China, and the East Indies. But when other countries got interested in Brazil they stopped them by imposing barriers and eventually the discovery brought to power an urban middle class and business interests that promoted industrialization and modernization. The country experienced an economic boom like this. During the early 1940s, Brazil joined the allied forces and fought many battles. This discovery led to the birth of a better and stronger country.
Brazil is a tropical paradise with lots of beaches and many places which make it a perfect destination for holiday.
- One of the famous places in Brazil is Rio del Janeiro. It comprises places like Copacabana, Cristo Redentor which is a great place to spend holidays.
- Amazon rain forest and Iguaçu Falls are the best places to enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Salvador’s Pelourinho is a World Heritage site that has a collection of colonial buildings. These places have become a great attraction for tourists.
- Sao Paulo is one of the largest cities of Brazil and ethnic groups from all over the world stay here.
- The Cathedral of Brasilia is one of the most famous churches in the world and is an architectural icon for Brazil.